How to get a copy of filed federal tax returns?
Do you need to obtain a copy of filed federal tax return from the IRS? Here are some important facts you should know.
1. There are two easy and convenient options for obtaining free copies of your federal tax return information — tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts.
2. The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts, which are available for the current year as well as the past three years.
3. A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions, such as those offering mortgages and student loans.
4. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data – including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
5. To request either transcript by phone, call 800-829-1040 and follow the prompts in the recorded message.
6. To request a tax return transcript through the mail*, individual taxpayers should complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Form 4506T-EZ is only for individuals who filed a Form 1040 series return. Businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use the Form 4506T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
7. You should receive your tax return transcript within 10 working days from the time the IRS receives your request. Allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript.
8. If you still need an actual copy of a previously processed tax return, it will cost $57 per tax year and take much longer. Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Form, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Please allow 60 days for actual copies of your return. Copies are generally available for the current year as well as the past six years.
*Form you can download:
Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return (PDF 45.3K)
Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Form (PDF 42.3K)
IRS Circular 230 Legend: Any advice contained herein was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding U.S. federal, state, or local tax payments or penalties. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, you should assume that any statement in this website or articles that relating to any U.S. federal, state, or local tax matter was written in connection with the promotion or marketing. Disclaimer: Any articles herein is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal or tax advice. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances.