Since 2001, we provide tax expertise & strategies for: Corporations, Partnerships, LLCs & Trusts.

What to do if you don’t have your W-2?

TaxBizPro, LLC Posted on: March 4, 2010 9:41

Many clients ask us what to do if their employer did not provide them with the form W-2?  Employers have until February 1st of each tax year to send you the W-2.  If you haven’t received your W-2, follow these four steps:

1. Contact your employer: If you haven’t received your W-2, by February 5th contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed to you.  Find out what mailing address was used on the W2.  It may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address.  After you contacted your employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue your W-2.

2. Contact the IRS:  If you haven’t received your W-2 by February 16th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040.  When you call, you must provide your name and address, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:

  • Employer’s name, address and the phone number
  • Your dates of employment for which you haven’t received your W2
  • An estimate of the salary you earned and the federal income tax withheld from your paychecks.  You can get this information from your last December paystub or earning statement.

3. File your income tax return: Even if you don’t have your W-2, you still must file your income tax return or request an extension of time to file by April 15.  If you want to file your tax return by April 15 and you still didn’t receive your W2, and you have completed steps 1 and 2 above, you may use Form 4852*, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.  Attach Form 4852 to your income tax return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible.  There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified by the IRS.

4. File a Form 1040X:  You may receive your missing W-2 after you filed your icnome tax return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your filed return.  If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X*, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.


Posted in:Personal Tax ArticlesThis article was written by TaxBizPro, LLC 2023, all rights reserved ©.  

Comments are closed.

Important Tax Disclosure
IRS Circular 230 Legend: Any advice contained herein was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding U.S. federal, state, or local tax payments or penalties. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, you should assume that any statement in this website or articles that relating to any U.S. federal, state, or local tax matter was written in connection with the promotion or marketing. Disclaimer: Any articles herein is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal or tax advice. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances.

1501 Broadway 12th Floor
Manhattan, NYC, 10036 USA
(212) 465-3337