Since 2001, we provide tax expertise & strategies for: Corporations, Partnerships, LLCs & Trusts.

Which Tax Return Form You Need To File?

TaxBizPro, LLC Posted on: December 15, 2009 12:08

There are three individual tax return forms you can use to file your Federal Income Taxes. Its form: 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ. You can mail your individual tax return by mail or you can e-file it.  Whether you use e-file or file by mail, using the simplest tax return form will help avoid costly errors or processing delays. Remember, if you file electronically, it speeds up the processing of your individual income tax return and if you are entitled to a refund, you will get it faster.

Here are some rules about using forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ when filing your income tax return.

Use the 1040EZ if:

  • Your taxable income is below $100,000
  • Your filing status is Single or Married Filing Jointly
  • You and your spouse – if married — are under age 65 and not blind
  • You are not claiming any dependents
  • Your annual interest income is $1,500 or less
  • You are not claiming the additional standard deduction for real estate taxes, taxes on the purchase of a new motor vehicle, or disaster losses

Use the 1040A if:

  • Your taxable income is below $100,000
  • You have capital gain distributions (from stocks, bonds, and other investments)
  • You claim certain tax credits
  • You claim deductions for IRA contributions, student loan interest, educator expenses or higher education tuition and fees

If you cannot use the 1040EZ or the 1040A, you’ll probably need to use form 1040.

Use the 1040 if:

  • Your taxable income is $100,000 or more
  • You claim itemized deductions (interest mortgage, state taxes, charity, medical expenses)
  • You are reporting self-employment income or LLC income taxes as self-employed
  • You are reporting income from sale of property, like a home.

If you want to look at actual IRS tax forms, click on the PDF forms below.

    • Form 1040EZ, Individual Income Tax Return (PDF 105K )
    • Form 1040A, Individual Income Tax Return (PDF 138K)
    • Form 1040, Individual Income Tax Return (PDF 181K)
Posted in:Personal Tax ArticlesThis article was written by TaxBizPro, LLC 2023, all rights reserved ©.  

Comments are closed.

Important Tax Disclosure
IRS Circular 230 Legend: Any advice contained herein was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding U.S. federal, state, or local tax payments or penalties. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, you should assume that any statement in this website or articles that relating to any U.S. federal, state, or local tax matter was written in connection with the promotion or marketing. Disclaimer: Any articles herein is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal or tax advice. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances.

1501 Broadway 12th Floor
Manhattan, NYC, 10036 USA
(212) 465-3337